The Business Department aims to enable students to participate in and gain a critical understanding of, the economic and business world. This requires them to appreciate not only what is happening in the world, but why it is happening, the reasons for and repercussions of business activity.
The Business Department is dynamic in its vision and delivery of courses. The courses are challenging yet motivating, and they are inextricably linked with the world of work.
Key Stage 4
NCFE - Level 1/2 Technical Award in Business & Enterprise
This is a Level 1/2 qualification that has been developed to be aimed at students aged 14-16.
ASSESSMENT AND CONTENT
Technical Award in Business & Enterprise shows learners:
- understand entrepreneurial characteristics and business aims and objectives
- legal structures, organisational structures and stakeholder engagement
- understand the marketing mix, market research, market types and orientation types
- understand operations management
- understand internal and external influences on business
- understand research, resource planning and growth for business
- understand human resource requirements for a business start-up
- understand sources of enterprise funding and business finance
- understand business and enterprise planning.
Students complete two units over year 10 and 11 :
- Unit 1: Introduction to business & enterprise - Externally assessed assignment – 40% weighting
- Unit 2: Understanding resources for business and enterprise planning - Internally assessed 60% weighting
Key Stage 5
BTEC Level 3 2016 Nationals in Business Extended Certificate
ASSESSMENT AND CONTENT
The Extended Certificate is for learners who are interested in learning about the business sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, not necessarily in business-related subjects. It is designed to be taken as part of a programme of study that includes other appropriate BTEC Nationals or A Levels.
It is equivalent in size to one A Level. 4 units of which 3 are mandatory, and 2 are external.
Student complete the following units :
- Unit 1 Exploring Business (mandatory) Internally assessed coursework
- Unit 2 Developing a Marketing Campaign (mandatory) Externally assessed task
- Unit 3 Personal & Business Finance (mandatory) Externally set exam 2 hours
- Unit 8 The Recruitment & Selection Process (optional) Internally assessed coursework